Thursday, September 9, 2010

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Kurt and I went to visit my grandparents in Vermont this past weekend. Until about a year ago, I hadn't been to their house in about 10 years and I was simultaneously amazed and not at all surprised that it had changed almost not at all. Almost everything was exactly how I remembered it--things I didn't even realize I remembered were exactly the way I'd left them the last time I'd been there, a decade earlier and suddenly I found myself kind of sneaking around, remembering random things and going off in search of them and finding them, always, right where I knew they'd be.

This picture is one of those things; a really strange doorstop that has sat on their staircase as long as I can remember. It's kind of fish-like, with this bizarre face and weird expression. It's a strange thing to see, and feel immediate comfort, and yet...

1 comment:

Anne said...

most bizarre thing i have ever seen. ever.

Search This Blog